The MAC Scholar Athlete Program accelerates the success of promising students by providing access to a community that enhances athletic performance, educational opportunities, and social connections.
The MAC Scholar Athlete program began in 1971 with high schools in the Portland Interscholastic League. Since then, the group has expanded to include 30 high schools in the Portland metro area. Up to three student athletes from each eligible school are nominated by their high school selection process.
Once nominated, students submit an application and one student from each high school is selected. A trained group of volunteers from the broader community, Multnomah Athletic Club, and the Multnomah Athletic Foundation review the applications and make the final recipient selection. Recipients receive a $1500 scholarship for their post-secondary education from the foundation and a complimentary MAC membership during the remainder of their high school tenure.
Check out the cohort of 2022 MAC Scholar Athlete Students by clicking here.
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation funds the nonrenewable $1,500 scholarship to the post-secondary institution. The award can be used any time within a 6-year period after graduating from high school. The institution can be any accredited 2-year school or 4-year school. Funding can be used for tuition, fees, books, and technology. Any field of study is permitted.
Criteria & Eligibility
- Participation in competitive athletics.
- Engaged in civic involvement and demonstrates leadership in their school and community activities.
- Minimum cumulative (unweighted) 3.0 GPA.
- Enrollment at one of the program high schools full time.
- Students are nominated by each high school’s selection committee during their sophomore year based on their athletic and academic accomplishments as well as their community involvement.
- Applicants must not be current members of the Multnomah Athletic Club.
This scholarship program has been around since 1971 with schools from the Portland Interscholastic League. In 2004, a generous gift by James F. Miller started the scholarship endowment at the foundation. The Millers’ support to education and the arts in Oregon demonstrates leadership and commitment to their community. Their gift to the foundation celebrates the energy and accomplishments of high school student athletes.
Students are nominated by each high school’s selection process during their sophomore year based on their athletic and academic accomplishments.
Gather This Information
- Prepare the answers to the required questions. The application contains eight questions, each with a limit of 1,000 characters.
- A transcript – you will be asked to upload a PDF copy of your transcript.
- A list of school and non-school related clubs and organizations in which you have participated since your freshman year as well as any corresponding leadership positions.
- A list of honors and awards that you received when participating in school, and non-school related clubs and organizations.
- A list of volunteer organizations with which you have served, plus any awards and honors that you have received for your participation.
- A list of athletic accomplishments school and non-school based in which you have been involved as well as any awards, honors and leadership positions you have received for your participation.
- One letter of recommendation will be required to submit your application. The recommendation can come from an adult that knows you well. It can be a coach, teacher, counselor, activities director or youth group leader. You may upload a PDF of the letter or ask the individual to upload a letter on your behalf through our website button below.
- Stage 1 High school nominates student athletes in March.
- Stage 2 Each nominated individual completes the online application in April.
- Stage 3 A group of trained volunteers selects one student from each high school.
- Stage 4 Announcement of recipients in late May.
- Stage 5 The recipients will be celebrated in the summer.
Nominees will be emailed a private link to the application portal after April 1st, 2022.