The Youth Grant Initiative teaches curious and passionate individuals about community leadership through hands on philanthropy and grant making. As a member of the YGI cohort, you will create positive change within the community by diving into the world of nonprofit giving and make a difference by awarding community grants.
We believe you have distinct and exceptional insights into the needs of youth in our community! This experience is designed to use your ideas and will have an immediate and meaningful impact within the community.
- Will you be a seventh and eighth grade student in September?
- Do you live in Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties?
- Are you ready to try something new, meet interesting people and do good?
- Do you have a passion for your community?
- Do you have a strong connection to athletics?
- Do you understand the importance of outreach and compassion?
If you answered YES to these questions, then we would love to talk to YOU!
Got questions? Join an informational webinar
- Hear from YGI alumni and foundation committee members about the program.
- Ask questions about anything – the experience and the interview process.
- The 2022 informational webinar was be held on May 12th to view the recording of this session click here.
Read about what program alumni Simone and Brady have to say about the YGI program here!
What Would you do with $5,000?
Details about the experience
The team, made up of 10 – 12 individuals, awards $5,000 to nonprofit organizations that qualify and apply for the Multnomah Athletic Foundation Community Grant Program.
The team will meet seven times in the fall and meeting topics will include but are not limited to: leadership, understanding of a nonprofit organization, basics of community engagement, grant making process, review of applications, and the value of relationships.
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation strives to recruit diverse members who vary in race, ethnic background, school, socio-economic level, personal interests, and academic/physical abilities. By the end of the program, the YGI team will collectively make grant award and funding recommendations to the foundation’s Board of Directors.
“Thank you for allowing us to grant $5,000 to local nonprofit organizations.”
“I am excited about what AC Portland and the Boys and Girls Club will do with the money. I am very thankful to the board for accepting our recommendation. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this program. I learned about a lot of good nonprofits who are trying to do something good in our community. Thank you.”– Taylor, 2019 YGI cohort
Apply & Recommend
- The online application has four questions and requires an online recommendation submitted from an adult in your life.
- We encourage you to use creativity in your application responses – written essays, video or audio.
- Deadline to apply is May 26, 2022, by 11:59 p.m.
- Virtual zoom interviews for each applicant will be held on June 1st and 2nd.
- An announcement of the 2022 cohort will be made via email on June 3rd.