The Youth Grant Initiative teaches curious and passionate individuals about community leadership through hands on philanthropy and grant making. As a member of the YGI cohort, you will create positive change within the community by diving into the world of nonprofit giving and make a difference by awarding community grants.
We believe you have distinct and exceptional insights into the needs of youth in our community! This experience is designed to use your ideas and will have an immediate and meaningful impact within the community.
- Will you be a seventh and eighth grade student in September?
- Do you live in Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties?
- Are you ready to try something new, meet interesting people and do good?
- Do you have a passion for your community?
- Do you have a strong connection to athletics?
- Do you understand the importance of outreach and compassion?
If you answered YES to these questions, then we would love to talk to YOU!
Got questions? Join an informational webinar
- Hear from YGI alumni and foundation committee members about the program.
- Ask questions about anything – the experience and the interview process.
- Our next informational webinar will be held in May of 2022 for the 2022 cohort, check back in April of 2022 to register and learn more!
What Would you do with $5,000?
Details about the experience
In 2021, we will meet in a hybrid model – some virtual and some in-person sessions. Car-pooling options and rides are available to make joining the experience easy.
The team, made up of 10 – 12 individuals, awards $5,000 to nonprofit organizations that qualify and apply for the Multnomah Athletic Foundation Community Grant Program.
The team will meet six times in the fall and meeting topics will include but are not limited to: leadership, understanding of a nonprofit organization, basics of community engagement, grant making process, review of applications and the value of relationships.
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation strives to recruit diverse members who vary in race, ethnic background, school, socio-economic level, personal interests and academic/physical abilities. By the end of the program, the YGI team will collectively make grant award and funding recommendations to the foundation’s Board of Directors.
“Thank you for allowing us to grant $5,000 to local nonprofit organizations.”
“I am excited about what AC Portland and the Boys and Girls Club will do with the money. I am very thankful to the board for accepting our recommendation. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this program. I learned about a lot of good nonprofits who are trying to do something good in our community. Thank you.”– Taylor, 2019 YGI cohort
Apply & Recommend
- Application has four questions and requires one recommendation form.
- Use creativity in your responses – written essays, video or audio.
- Deadline to apply is May 28, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. for the 2021 cohort.
- Interviews will be held in early June 2021.