Here are the Multnomah Athletic Foundation’s Grant Guidelines. This information will provide you with an understanding of our current grantmaking process.
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation provides community grants that support confidence and character-building opportunities with an emphasis on athletic participation for youth. The Foundation gives highest priority to activities that provide greater access to youth who are economically disadvantaged and underserved.
We support nonprofit organizations providing services in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. We focus on the following counties – Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas.
An organization that is certified as tax exempt under Section 501(c) (3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code and is not a private foundation as defined in section 509(a) of that Code is eligible for consideration.
April 1 and September 1
Electronic or paper materials must be received on or before the grant cycle deadline. If the grant request packet is received after the deadline, we will notify the organizations and hold the application until the next grant cycle if instructed.
Annual grant reports must be completed before any new grant funds will be distributed. Deadline is on or before the new grant application deadline.
- Organization budget for the most recently completed fiscal year.
- Project or program budget related to the grant request
An organization will be expected to complete an annual report with photos and other supporting materials. The report should describe the organization’s impact on athletic participation for youth. Multnomah Athletic Foundation will grant an additional award annually to recognize one organization’s impact in the community.
Organizations who have received grants from the Multnomah Athletic Foundation must fulfill final reporting obligations before any new grant funds will be distributed.
Download grant report HERE
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation focuses on grants that:
- Are established, well-managed, financially viable, and operate effective programs that primarily serve youth with limited access or underserved communities
- Have developed short and long-term strategies for addressing identified organizational needs and
- Are in need of financial support to meet the demand for core programs and services and effectively administer programs.
We offer the following types of grants:
Funding for program development and the continuation/expansion of existing programs will be limited to projects that have a viable fundraising and sustainability plan.
Operation support is unrestricted funding that enables an organization to carry out its core mission by strengthening organizational capacity and program sustainability.
For specific projects with capital expenditures, such as equipment and facilities, limited funding is available.
Multnomah Athletic Foundation grants are awarded for one year. Generally, grantees can re-apply at the end of their grant period for a new grant provided they have filed their final report.
Average grant amount ranges from $2,000 – $7,000.
Applicants should request a grant amount that is consistent with a thoughtful and sustainable fund raising strategy. Based on individual circumstances, the Foundation’s Board of Directors will use flexibility and apply individual judgment to each request.
Grants are specifically not made:
- To organizations that discriminate against certain groups or individuals in the delivery of programs and services on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability.
- To individuals. The group must be a registered and certified a tax exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization.
- To fiscal sponsors. The group must be a registered and certified a tax exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization.
- For conferences, workshops and related non-program activities.
- For endowment funds.
- For prior deficits or debt reduction.
- For PTO/PTA organizations.
- For political organizations.
- For the collection of funds for regranting to other nonprofit groups.
Grant applications can be submitted to grants@MultnomahAthleticFoundation.com.
You may also mail your application to the:
Multnomah Athletic Foundation
1849 SW Salmon St.
Portland, OR 97205.
If you have questions or comments, feel free to contact the foundation office at grants@MultnomahAthleticFoundation.com or 503-517-2350.